How LED Lights Can Work For You

LED lights can help reduce spending on electricity and replacement bulbs.  

You’ve probably heard that some types of light bulbs are on the way out and other lighting options, such as LED lights, are increasing in popularity.  Both in the United States and abroad, traditional lighting from the Edison-invented incandescent bulb is being scaled back.  In some cases this has been due to government policies, in some its market forces, and in others it’s both.  One of the alternatives to incandescent bulbs are LED lights, which are much more efficient than many other types of lighting.

Why are LED lights such a great alternative to traditional bulbs?  Perhaps the biggest reason is they use far less electricity.  Incandescent bulbs work by using electricity to heat the filament inside so much that it begins to glow.  This means a lot of the energy brought into incandescent bulbs is lost as heat.   In fact, incandescent bulbs only turn 10% of the electricity they use into light.  The other 90% becomes heat.  This isn’t the case for LED lights, meaning less electricity is needed to produce a comparable amount of light.  Compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) bulbs use electricity differently than incandescent ones and consume less of it.  However, LED lights are still more efficient.  Using less electricity means you save you money on your power bill and that less electricity must be produced to keep your home well-lit.

Another advantage of LED lights is that they don’t require any heat-up time—they’re fully lit when you hit the switch.  This is in contrast to CFL bulbs, which require some time for the electricity to light up to their full potential.

LED lights also last much longer than other types of bulbs.  Comparable models of LED lights can function 25 times longer than incandescent bulbs and up to 2.5 times longer than CFL bulbs.  LED lights must be replaced far less often, saving you time, hassle, and ultimately money.

If you’ve ever shopped for consumer LED lights, you might have noticed they can be much more expensive than other types.  Over the lifespan of the LED light, however, you will see greater savings in both electricity use and in buying replacements.

There are many brands of LED lights now available with Edison screw bases, or the type of lights we see every day in lamps and overhead fixtures.  LED lights can also replace fluorescent bulbs, including the tube bulbs often used in the ceilings of large buildings.  This makes it easy to change over to LED lights.  However, LED lights can also be installed directly into a power source by an electrician.

If you’re looking to upgrade your home’s lighting or add something new, why not consider using LED lights?  McCauley Electrical Service can advise you on what’s possible with LED lights in your home.  If you want to add lights that are cost-efficient, bright, and beautiful, give us a call at (678) 324-3117.

Related Posts
  • Local Electrician Offers Tips For Hiring An Electrician Read More
  • Fuses And Circuit Breakers Read More
  • Wiring Terms Explained Read More